Roscoe Green | Lobbyist
As the grandson of the first African American to ever win a statewide election in Florida, Roscoe’s roots in the political and governmental arena run deep. Prior to joining Cotney Construction Law, Roscoe served as Co-Chair of the Governmental Affairs Committee for Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), Florida First Coast Chapter, where he met and worked with government officials at the local, state and national levels concerning legislation and regulatory proposals which impacted the construction industry. Since joining Cotney Construction Law, he has continued his commitment to be an advocate for the construction industry and is a registered lobbyist in the state of Florida.
Roscoe comes from a family of contractors and is also a certified general contractor in the state of Florida with over 20 years of experience in the construction industry. His background in construction provides him with in-depth knowledge and a unique understanding of the issues facing the industry, which allows him to advocate for the industry at an enhanced and intimate level.
This unique knowledge and understanding traverses into Roscoe’s practice as an attorney with Cotney Construction Law, where he represents clients in all areas of construction law throughout Florida and Georgia; including construction and commercial litigation, general corporate law, contract and payment disputes, contract drafting and negotiation, construction defects, bid protest, and lien and bond claims.
Roscoe continues to utilize his background and knowledge of the law to advocate for the industry and to provide exceptional service to his clients at Cotney Construction Law.
- Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D.
- Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University, B.S., Construction Engineering
- Bachara Construction Law Group, Jacksonville, Florida, Associate Attorney, September 2014-September 2017
- Bachara Construction Law Group, Jacksonville, Florida, Law Clerk, June 2012-September 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, Judicial Intern to the Honorable Monte C. Richardson, May 2013-July 2013
- Baycrest Corporation, Tallahassee, Florida, Project Manager/Estimator, February 2007-July 2011
- Construction Support Southeast, Tallahassee, Florida, Superintendent, July 2001-January 2007
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2019, 2020
- Florida Certified General Contractor (CGC#1518230)
- State Requirements for Educational Facilities Certified, Florida Department of Education
- Construction Quality Control Management Certified, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Advanced Research, Writing and Drafting Certificate, Florida Coastal School of Law
- The Florida Bar, 2014
- State Bar of Georgia, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 2015
- “After A Coronavirus-Related Project Suspension, Take These Steps To Protect Your Rights,” Construction Dive, April 2020
- “The Right Contract Provisions Can Protect Construction Firms From Coronavirus-Related Shutdown Costs,” Construction Dive, April 2020
- “Paying Employees During a Coronavirus-Related Project Suspension: What Do Federal Laws Say?” Construction Dive, April 2020
Selected Professional and Civic Activities
- National Association of Minority Contractors, Central Florida Chapter, General Counsel
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Florida First Coast Chapter
- Governmental Affairs Committee
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate & Trust Law Section; Business Law Section
- State Bar of Georgia, Real Property Law Section
- Jacksonville Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter
- The Chester Bedell Inn of Court, Associate, 2016
- Florida Coastal School of Law, Transactional Drafting, Book Award Recipient